Wednesday, April 21, 2010

BGRs

Was reading my idol's blog not too long ago. He was talking about a wedding he attended and throughout the blog post his cynicism about marriage was pretty obvious. I think I can relate to that. After being around for a while, I find myself getting more and more cynical about relationships as well. To be fair, I have only been through one relationship, two if I consider J.

I used to think that a relationship starts because the two of us enjoy spending time with each other and like each other. Guess most can agree with that. But somehow when we formally get into a relationship, things seem to change. Things start to set in like 'you must send me home', 'we must talk on the phone', 'you should have done this', 'you should have done that',...... 'I expect you to' has been subtly changed to 'You should' so that we would not be seen as demanding. Whatever happened to just enjoying each other which was the spark of the relationship anyway. Whoever set the standards of BGRs in the first place?

Nope, it's not a sour grape rant on my part. For now, I am pretty okay as I am (at least I am not on the verge of suicide anytime soon). Guess I just wanted to vent my frustrations somewhere. Okay, if it was really ME and all my views that are outdated or not practical, why is my ex still single right now? Okay, to be really fair, so am I. ;) For me, I guess the only advantage of being a guy is that I am still considered my prime for my age. Whereas for her,...... 

And nope, I am not against anyone for that matter. It was a good thing we did not continue our relationship cos she would have been much further hurt and that would hurt me as well. Think I am more against a certain kind of paradigm some have in regards to relationships. It's kind of ironic cos we don't hear of much problems when marriages were pre-arranged. Yes, really conservative and traditional but do you realise that there were not as much marital problems during our grandparents' time compared to our parents and now compared to us. Seems like the more affluent we are and more "forward" in our thinking, the more screwed up we become. Now, it seems unimaginable to have marriages pre-arranged. After all, we wanna have our say in who we marry right?

But really, it seems like the divorce rates during our grandparents' era seem to pale compared to ours now. And people back then were not as ready to use the word 'divorce' as we so easily do now. Oh, just a sideline for you girls who have been patient enough to read till this far. If a man whom you "love" very much and who "loves" you very much has been divorced twice before, what makes you think you'll not be the third? Sorry, I digressed......

So what am I trying to say? No idea. Guess I just wanted to pen my thoughts down. Okie, time to go for meeting......

No comments:

Post a Comment